Sunday, January 4, 2009

What a Fiasco

"Fiasco" by Thomas Ricks is one of the most powerful books I have ever read. It describes in depth the American operation in Iraq from before the invasion in 2003 to mid-2006. The amount of detail is insane and for someone who embarrassingly didn't know a ton about the war I learned so much. I really want to look more deeply at the war since mid-2006 too that way I really know what has transpired during the length of the conflict.

Work was nice and easy this weekend; just read and watched football. This next week is my last week off before I start back at school so Im trying to decide what Im going to do. I might go down to San Diego for a night or maybe somewhere else. Also, Im going to try to get up to the Bay Area the weekend of January 23-25 since my buddy from Athens is coming to visit.

I have a few more books I want to finish before break: No Country for Old Men and then the rest of my Euripedes (Ancient Greek Playwright) plays. I know I'll finish No Country, not too sure about the plays though. This is kind of off-subject but I have really been giving thought to pursuing my PhD. When I talked to Jason Stowers when I was up north he suggested if I can keep my grades up. I was considering adding a Political Science class because of this (Although I have already completed my Poli Sci requirement for my Masters degree, if I got a doctorate it would have to be in Poli Sci because History PhD's require competency in like 3 or 4 languages). However, I think that since im already taking 3 classes which is 13 quarter units, I'll wait until a later quarter. Thats all for now, hope everyone is well.

No comments: