Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Jimmy V Foundation



To Do List:
1. Write 25 page paper - Progress: 17 pages
2. Take Home final - Program: starts on 12/10
3. Terrorism Complilation - Progress: Have information and maps, just need to compile

Sorry just doing a quick to do list for school, which ends in about a week :). The quarter system is wonderful for all of you semester students. I had never done quarters before I got into Grad School, its only 10 weeks so its a little compact, but it goes by so fast, its really nice!
Anyways on to the really important stuff: The man above is Jimmy Valvano, former head coach of the North Carolina State Mens Basketball team. He died of cancer when he was in his 50s, which is much too young for anyone to die. Anyone remotely a fan of college basketball should know who this man is as Dick Vitale talks about him often as they were good friends and they have a week called the Jimmy V Classic each year. Oh... what a coincidence... that is this week! December 3-10. He also has a cancer foundation in his name called the Jimmy V fund. They take 100% of the money they receive and put it towards research and treatment. This is the second straight year that I have donated and I plan on doing it until I die. If you need inspiration for anything in life go watch on youtube "Jim Valvano Espy Acceptance Speech". It is from 1993 and is what that picture above is from. I wear a blue band on my left wrist that says "Don't give up, Don't ever give up". Well that is from that speech and he was just an amazing man. My papa (dad's dad) died of colon cancer a little over 8 years ago at the age of 68, which is still too young. I guess you can say that I have a passing interest in solving the cancer issue as I'm sure many people do.
Go do something special for the holidays and donate to this fund. They take 1 dollar and they take 1,000,000 dollars. You will be making a difference in someone's life and it always feels good to contribute in some way since most of us are too busy or not in a position to do so. Especially in the holiday spirit. God bless you all and I wish you all wonderful health for yourself, friends, and family. Talk to you soon.


No comments: